15 June 2023
From 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
P15 - La Werkstatt, Biel/Bienne
On 15 June 2023, we will host a one-day workshop on circular design that introduces participants to principles, examples and tools.
Learnings and takeaways
- Arguments why circular economy matters and the role of circular design
- Overview of the most important actors and existing resources and tools
- An understanding of how you can bring this approach to your everyday practice: Explore the potential of circular design to come up with new products, services and business models – and how it can serve as an innovation lens
This workshop is for designers in all design disciplines up to 7 years after graduation or foundation of the studio. It will be most valuable for those new to circular economy and circular design, but keen to learn more and bring it into their practice.
(The workshop will be conducted in English.)
9:30 Arrival at the venue P15 – La Werkstatt in Biel/Bienne
Today’s linear economy
- Today’s linear economy, its symptoms and problems and how our current approach to solving systemic challenges is not working.
Circular economy as a new paradigm
- Circular Economy as a new paradigm, it’s key principles and how it helps address systemic challenges like climate change and biodiversity loss.
- Why is the design stage important
- Prompts that provoke a rethink or redesign
- Examples of moving from a linear product to a circular offering
- Overview circular design approach: Evolution from a Double Diamond to a Systemic Design Framework (UK Design Council)
- Circular design practices with examples
- Re-defining the challenge: Including circular design principles and SDGs right from the start
The Swiss circular design ecosystem
- Overview of Swiss circular design landscape, organisations and contact details. In particular, we will present you an emergent community of circular design practitioners you can be part of.
Lunch break (vegan)
- A guest speaker (tbd) will present a specific inspiring case and share practical experiences and recommendations.
Deep dive into a circular design tool
- We will dive into a circular design tool and discuss afterwards how to integrate circular design into your practice.
End of Workshop 17:30 Uhr
Optional dinner at the circular Restaurant Ecluse in Biel/Bienne (at your own expense)
Please subscribe for this event here until 30 April 2023.
Helen Muggli, Pro Helvetia